Thursday, September 11, 2008

And that haunted me, all the way home


My love/hate relationship with Kanye West continues. I love his music and what he has accomplished and how outspoken he is...most of the time. I was an unhappy little camper Sunday night when i was watching the VMA's (in between my new love-True Blood and Entourage of course) and saw his live performance of his most recent song, Love Lockdown. I understand that imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery, or so they say-but he completely (or whoever is the brains behind his stage set up) ripped off the Swedish band The Knife. The brother sister duo known for being creepy and cleverly aloof with their live performances graced NYC with their presence during CMJ two years ago at Webster Hall for back to back shows. Decked out in head to toe black spandex and glowing eyes they beat on their drums which lit up with each tap and touch...almost exactly like what Kanye had going on behind him grooving in his tailored grey suit. It is incredibly smart marketing to take these elements of electronic/pop shows and place them behind hip/hop and rap artists since their live shows tend to fall flat. I just was a bit shocked to see the Knife influences...Dear Daft Punk, Kanye has moved on to pillage someone else's art.


I'm not lovin' you, the way I wanted to
What I had to do, had to run from you
I'm in love with you, but the vibe is wrong
And that haunted me, all the way home
So ya never know, never never know
Never know enough, 'til it's over love
'Til we lose control, system overload
Screamin' no no no, no no
I'm not lovin' you, the way I wanted to
See I wanna move, but can't escape from you
So I keep it low, keep a secret code
So everybody else don't have to know

So keep ya love locked down, ya love locked down
You keep ya love locked down, you lose

Kayne West- Love Lockdown.mp3
Kanye West Tags/Daft Punk Tags/The Knife Tags

No comments:

Now THAT'S HOT