Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Be aware my darling, these things i say i mean...


Whereas last year it was quite easy for me to ramble off my list of top albums of the year 2008 has found me saying which songs I enjoy rather than whole records. This is not the case when it comes to School of Seven Bells who turned out one of the most intricately composed and enchantingly woven compilations. I believe that there are certain movements one must make in life, steps you are absolutely destined to tread in order to create something new or find yourself some place completely different. Such is the scenario for Benjamin Curtis, formerly of Secret Machines. In 2004 the Deheza sisters: Alejandra and Claudia (both formerly of On!Air!Liberty!) and Curtis were opening acts for Interpol and met backstage in between the performances. Their band name was taken from a mythical South American Pickpocket Academy that might have existed during the 80's that sparked Alejandra's imagination while she was watching a PBS special. It took three years but by early 2007, School of Seven Bells was born and signed with Ghostly International for their debut release, Alphinisms which came out this October. The threesome just recently finished touring with M83 and are performing at the Mercury Lounge next Monday. Yeaaahh! If you are curious about what they might sound like live you can check out their in studio session at KEXP here.

And because I do have a favorite song when it comes to them I fondly invite you to download Half Asleep first,

Sometimes I go whole days
listening bored, half sleep
I won't say anything
that's worth a thing to me
One day, suddenly, time
took a turn that once felt so brief
I blinked to see polite ghosts fading quickly

What begins as an unguarded
train of thoughts slowly can become
an addiction to the slumber
of disconnection and the resonance
of memory that no longer has a shape
but keeps you numb through
the hours tills gone is another day

Be aware, my darling
these things I say I mean
are just traces of something
I long to feel again
I see our time expand
in the air almost forcibly,
spreading thinner till it dissolves completely



School of Seven Bells-Half Asleep.jpg
School of Seven Bells-Wired for Light.mp3
School of Seven Bells-Song for the Magpie.mp3

No comments:

Now THAT'S HOT