Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bette Davis was born 100 years ago today


If there is one thing my mum did right it was my classical education in film. Mainly the introduction of true female movie stars and real scripts into my life at an impressionable age. I knew who Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, and Vivien Leigh, were way before I knew Jem or the Smurfs. Trips to the local video store found me begging my Dad to let me rent Gone With the Wind for the millionth time...or Gigi. It wasn't until i was older that i realized Scarlett O'Hara was a bit of a husband stealer or that Gigi was a young girl basically being trained for things that are not the most lady like-at which point in time i changed the object of my affection to Audrey Hepburn and have been loyal to her ever since. But i never forgot Bette...vivacious, dangerous, sharp witted and confident. Her performance in All About Eve was deliciously decadent on every level. It was and is still my favorite of all her performances. New York Times reporter, Terrence Rafferty states it best in a fabulously affectionate article about the late and the great, Bette Davis could make you see red in black and white. There will never be another like her and for that you should at least take this opportunity to remember her talent and maybe netflix a film or two.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hey girlie,
Great show last night! I hope to see many more excellently curated lineups.

Now THAT'S HOT