Monday, May 7, 2007

Baez Banned from singing to Soliders


Joan Baez, the iconic folk singer known for her beautiful rendition of Bob Dylans' 'Blowin' In The Wind' as well as her out spoken anti-war sentiments was denied approval to perform alongside John Mellencamp during a performance at the Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, DC. "I have always been an advocate for nonviolence," she wrote, "and I have stood as firmly against the Iraq war as I did the Vietnam War 40 years ago. I realise now that I might have contributed to a better welcome home for those soldiers fresh from Vietnam. Maybe that's why I didn't hesitate to accept the invitation to sing for those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end, four days before the concert, I was not 'approved' by the Army to take part. Strange irony." She added subsequently that "there might have been one, there might have been 50 (soldiers) that thought I was a traitor". One of my more cynical friends said, 'They let the rats in, why not you?'" Baez quipped, referring to the recent exposure of poor conditions at the hospital. Mellencamp told Rolling Stone: "They didn't give me a reason why she couldn't come. We asked why and they said, 'She can't fit here, period.'"
Bob Dylan -(cover of) Yesterday.mp3

2 comments:

El Vaso Ruso said...

www.elvasoruso.blogspot.com

Visit our blog!

;) I'm sure you're gonna like it, with these images you have in yours. Good One!

Talita International Glass Press.

Shelves of Vinyl said...

definitely will check it out- thanks for visiting us!

Now THAT'S HOT